The Rainbow Passive House
PROJECT DETAILSGeneral Contractor: Dürfeld Constructors
Architect: Marken Projects Inc.
Engineer: Equilibrium Consulting Inc.
THE RAINBOW DUPLEX - IN THE NEWS
The Rainbow Passive House was designed and developed to showcase Passive House construction in Canada, the benefits of prefabricated construction in high efficiency buildings and the benefits of using wood, Canada’s most sustainable building product. After their involvement with the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Austria Passivhaus, the developer and general contractor for the Rainbow Passive House, Dürfeld Constructors, wanted to demonstrate that the Passive House Standard could be met in Canada, using Canadian expertise. Working in collaboration with Dürfeld, BC Passive House designed and developed a prefabricated system that would meet the rigorous Passive House Standard using a wood first approach.
The Rainbow Passive House is the first residential project in Canada to be certified through the Passive House Institute in Darmstadt, Germany. As a first of its kind in Canada, the success of this project can be attributed to the collaboration between the design team. Right from the start, the architect, engineer, general contractor and BC Passive House worked together to determine the most cost effective, efficient way to meet the goals of the project.
In addition to BC Passive House’s superinsulated, airtight structural shell, some of the notable features of the Rainbow Passive House Duplex Include:
- Blower door test results of 0.25 ACHat50Pascal and 0.3 ACH at50Pascal;
- High performance Heat Recovery Ventilation system coupled with a sub soil heat exchanger;
- Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) panels used for middle floor and deck construction;
- Solar hot water
- Passive House rated outsulated wood windows;
- The use of sustainable building products, low flow and energy efficient fixtures throughout; and
- The Duplex was built to meet Whistler’s Price Restricted Housing Initiative.